To attain NBFE board certification as a forensic mental health evaluator, the applicant must meet the following eligibility requirements:
- Completed application and fees (Contact NBFE for Costs and how to qualify for a discount)
- Upon candidacy eligibility, and examination fees paid, a comprehensive written and oral study guide will be provided.
- Minimum of a State license to practice independent mental health counseling, marriage & family counseling, or social work. If licensing is not required, the candidate must be nationally certified by the National Board for Certified Counselors with a National Certified Counselor Credential (NCC).
- A minimum of three years post licensed experience
- A minimum of forty-hours substantiated forensic documentation in one or more of the following areas: classes, workshops, seminars, supervision, published professional works, etc., focusing on forensic mental health assessment, sexual offenders, domestic violence, expert witness, ethical issues, family law, introduction to essentials of forensic assessment, child custody evaluations, assessment in personal injury, malingering, competency to stand trial, civil commitment, juvenile justice and substance abuse. Experience in providing expert testimony, depositions, divorce and family mediation, competency evaluations, etc., will be considered, if there is a verifiable case number and court reference accompanying the application.
- Three current professional references that can validate the applicants ethical and moral standards, as well as pertinent clinical skills and abilities
- A written examination will be required to assess the depth and breadth of the candidate's forensic knowledge.
- A practice sample review and oral examination will complete the certification process. It is essential that the two practice samples be complete mental health evaluations. This is necessary in order for the advisory board to assess the knowledge and skill of the candidate's ability to perform and write a qualified forensic mental health evaluation.